Planning applications FAQs

Conservation and trees

How can I find out if a property is in a conservation area?

You can view a list of conservations areas using this link. Each conservation area has a map which you can view to see whether your property is in a conservation area or not. If you cannot find the information you are looking for you can make a request here. Please use this link for further information on conservation areas in general.


How can I find out if a property is listed?

You can search the listing on Historic England using this link


How can I find out if a tree has a Tree Preservation Order?

Please make your request here. to find out if a tree has a TPO.


Do I need permission to carry out works to a tree with a TPO or in a Conservation Area?

Works to trees and hedgerows may require permission. If a tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO), or is situated in a designated conservation area, in most cases you will need to obtain consent from us before carrying out any works to that tree. Please follow this link for further information on trees in general and how to apply for consent.


I own a listed building. What works require listed building consent?

If a building is listed it does not prevent change to the building, it simply means that consent must be applied for in order to make any changes to the building which might materially affect its character, this is called listed building consent. Some examples of alterations that require consent include: Demolition of a listed building or part of it, Additions and extensions (including conservatories), New and replacement features- such as doors, windows and gutters, Cleaning, rendering or painting external walls, Removal of internal and external features- such as chimney stacks, fireplaces, floors, walls and decorative plasterwork, Works to outbuildings, boundary walls or railings that are curtilage listed.

It is a criminal offence to make changes which affect the special character of a listed building without consent. If you carry out unauthorised works, you could face a fine or even imprisonment. You may also be required to reinstate the building to its former condition. For further information please follow this link - Listed buildings.


I live in a conservation area. Do I need planning permission to change my windows?

If the replacement windows are of a similar design and colour and provided that your property has permitted development rights then planning permission is not required. If you are unsure as to whether you have permitted development rights to enable you to change your windows please make your request here. If you are unsure as to whether your windows will be acceptable, please use our pre application advice service. There may be a charge for this service. Listed buildings will always require listed building consent for replacement windows and doors.