Planning applications FAQs

General FAQs

What is the difference between planning permission and building control?

Building regulations and planning permission are completely separate.

Planning permission covers the principle of development and whether it complies with local and national guidelines and policies.

Building Regulation applications assess the structural aspect of development and to ensure any building works comply with the standards of construction. For building regulations enquiries please see more information on our Building Control pages


Where can I view applications, plans and decisions?

You can view most planning applications, appeals and decisions on our website. You can view them using this link - View and comment on planning applications.

If you cannot find the application, permission or decision please make your request here.


How can I make a payment?

For further information on fees and how to make a payment please follow this link


I think one of my neighbours is building something without planning permission. What should I do?

Your neighbour may have not needed planning permission under permitted development. Please see link for further information on permitted development See link to the planning portal for information on the failure to obtain or comply with planning permission.

For further information on how the Council deals with works undertaken without the necessary planning permission or to report a development which you think requires investigation please visit our ‘planning enforcement’ webpages.


Who owns a property, land, boundary, or fence?

This information is not held by the Local Planning Authority. You can find details about non council owned land on the Land Registry website. If you want to know if land is council owned please complete our General Enquiries Form.


Where can I go for independent planning advice?

Planning Aid provides free and impartial advice on planning issues.