Bins and collections information
Your black wheeled bin is for the following items:
- Non-recyclable waste
- Non-compostable waste
- Food waste
- Disposable nappies
- Domestic animal waste and bedding (limited amounts)
- Black plastics (ready meal trays, meat packaging and any other black coloured plastic containers)
All non-recyclable waste collected in Harborough District is taken to Cotesbach landfill site, or transfer stations at Syston and Rushton. The transport of waste from the transfer sites is then managed by Leicestershire County Council.
Extra waste left out by the side of the bin
We will not collect any extra waste left out by the side of the bin. All other materials should be disposed of via:
- Blue lidded bin - for recyclable materials
- Green bin - for loose garden waste such as grass cuttings, twigs and small branches, weeds, leaves, flowers and plants, and hedge clippings.
Please note that collection of the green bin for Garden Waste is a chargeable subscription service.
- Household recycling and waste sites - for items that cannot be placed in the wheeled bins
Batteries and lighters
Please do not dispose of any type of battery, lighter or other items that could cause a fire in your wheeled bins. This can result in a fire being started inside the collection vehicles.
All batteries must be safely disposed of at a recycling and household waste site or in a battery bank at a shop.
Bin hygiene during warm weather
Advice for good bin hygiene:
- Keep bins in the shade where possible to avoid them getting too hot and smelling
- Double bag food waste to ensure it is not exposed to flies
- Do not leave food or pet food out as flies will lay eggs which will develop in the bin - always cover food to avoid this
- Wash bins out after collections with disinfectant to avoid smells and maggots
- Keep the lid shut on the bin at all times to avoid flies entering it