Bins and collections information
Your blue-lidded bin is for recycling waste only. A full list of items which can be put in your blue-lidded bin is available online at lesswaste.org.uk
All of the recycling collected from your blue-lidded bins is first taken back to the FCC Environment depot in Great Bowden. The recycling material is bulked and transported to the Casepak Mixed Recycling Facility (MRF) in Leicester to be sorted and sent on to its end destination for reprocessing.
Extra blue-lidded bins and recycling materials left out by the side of the bin
If you like to recycle more, you can request an extra blue-lidded bin online. Households in the Harborough District are toa second recycling bin free of charge. We can also collect additional recyclable material if presented next to your blue-lidded bin:
- Extra recycling material must be contained in a cardboard box or clear plastic bag
- Loose cardboard must be flat-packed
All other materials should be disposed of via:
- Black bin - used for non-recyclable rubbish, including food waste and black plastics
- Green bin - for loose garden waste such as grass cuttings, twigs and small branches, weeds, leaves, flowers and plants, and hedge clippings.
Please note that collection of the green bin for Garden Waste is a chargeable subscription service.
- Household recycling and waste sites - for items that cannot be placed in the wheeled bins
Batteries and lighters
Please do not dispose of any type of battery, lighter or other items that could cause a fire in your wheeled bins. This can result in a fire being started inside the collection vehicles.
All batteries must be safely disposed of at a recycling and household waste site or in a battery bank at a shop.
Bin hygiene during warm weather
Advice for good bin hygiene:
- Keep bins in the shade where possible to avoid them getting too hot and smelling
- Double bag food waste to ensure it is not exposed to flies
- Do not leave food or pet food out as flies will lay eggs which will develop in the bin - always cover food to avoid this
- Wash bins out after collections with disinfectant to avoid smells and maggots
- Keep the lid shut on the bin at all times to avoid flies entering it