Leaving Hospital

What help can I get if I am being discharged from hospital and I cannot return home?

If you are leaving hospital but you are not able to go back to your own home there are several options available to you.

If you cannot go home because you are no longer able to move around your home (for example, if you cannot use the stairs anymore), then there may be some grants available to help adapt your home.

If you can return home but need to move in the future because it will not be suitable for you in the long term then you could apply to join the housing register.

You should make sure that your doctor and nurse are aware that your home is not suitable for you anymore, you may be able to speak to the Housing Team in the hospital or to a social worker. They can help you get adaptations put in your house or provide things like changing the locks if you have lost your keys. This is part of the Lightbulb Project in Leicestershire.

What help can I get if I am being discharged from hospital with no where to live?

If you are leaving hospital and you cannot return to your previous home then you should contact the local authority where you have a local connection.

There are housing officers who work in many hospitals who may be able to help you before you are discharged or you can mention to your doctor, nurse or social worker that you cannot return home (professionals please see information on the Duty to Refer).

A local connection can be:

- Where you lived (immediately before you went to hospital)

- Where your close family members (parents, brothers and sisters or adult children) have lived for the last 5 years

- Where you currently work

If any of these sound like it would be in the Harborough District then you can contact the Housing Team for advice. You can email us at hhs@harborough.gov.uk.

If you are homeless tonight and you have nowhere to go, or if you are going to become homeless soon, then please complete the homelessness assistance form online. If you cannot complete the online form, then you can call the contact centre on 01858 82 82 82 or email us at hhs@harborough.gov.uk.

If we do not think that you have a local connection to the Harborough District, we may refer you back to your own local authority if it is safe to do so. We will discuss this with you.

Can I get somewhere to live?

Depending on your personal circumstances there may be different options available to you.

Sometimes the council will be able to provide temporary accommodation for you for a short time. You can find out more information about this here.

If you have a home to return to but you now need aids or adaptations to help you live there then you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). Talk to your occupational therapist or social worker about your options. If you do not own your home, you should talk to your landlord about this as they will need to give their permission. If you live in a Housing Association property then they may be able to help you move to a more suitable property for your needs. You can contact your Housing Association landlord directly to disucss this.

If you need to find a new home, you may be eligible to join the housing register, you can find out more information here. However, please be aware that it can take a long time to find a property through the housing register. Sometimes there are properties to let which are adapted for people who need level access or wheelchair-adapted properties. These are allocated to those who need these adaptations first.

If you are not eligible to join the housing register then we may be able to help you in other ways, you might be able to look for a private rented property in the area, sometimes the council can help you find somewhere to move to or help you pay rent-in-advance or a deposit.