Leaving the Armed Forces

What help can I get if I am leaving the armed forces with no where to live?

If you are leaving the armed forces and this means that you no longer have anywhere to live then you should look at your housing options as early as possible.

When you leave the forces you may be able to consider buying a property, you may be able to look at shared-ownership or an equity loan under the Government's Help to Buy scheme.

You might be able to look for a private rented property in the area, sometimes the council can help you find somewhere to move to or help you pay rent-in-advance or a deposit.

You can find more help and information for Armed Forces members here.

Can I join the housing register?

You may be eligible to join the housing register, you can find out more information here. Please be aware that it can take a long time to find a property through the housing register so you should apply as soon as you know you will be leaving the armed forces.

The usual local connection criteria does not apply to you if you are serving personnel (or a bereaved spouse or civil partner) of the regular armed forces who is leaving service accommodation within 5 years of discharge, or you need to move because of serious injury, medical condition or disability sustained as a result of your service. This means that you can apply to any council to join the housing register. However, you may not be eligible if you have the financial means to resolve your own housing need or if you are guilty of unacceptable behaviour serious enough to make you unsuitable to be a tenant, such as certain criminal offences. For more information on eligibility to join the housing register click here.

What should I do if I am worried about becoming homeless?

If you are homeless tonight and you have nowhere to go, or if you are at risk of losing your home, then please complete the homelessness assistance form online. If you cannot complete the online form, then you can call the contact centre on 01858 82 82 82 or email us at hhs@harborough.gov.uk.

If you have somewhere to live currently but you are worried about becoming homeless there may be some additional help and support available for you, such as helping with your rent, helping towards debts and finding employment or the correct benefits for you. Remember a veteran is anyone who has served in any of the forces in the UK for at least 1 day, so although you may not call yourself a 'veteran' there are many charities that can help and support you.

The Government is committed to helping all ex-forces members and the Veteran's Gateway is a great place to start to find help and support.